Wednesday 11 September 2013

Month of Guests 2013: Supernatural Snark


 I'm super excited to have the brilliant Jenny from Supernatural Snark here again!!  I love Jenny's blog and all of her posts so I'm really happy she's decided to take part again this year!!  Now, over to Jenny...

First, I want to thank Megan for inviting me back to this amazing event she’s hosting, I’m thrilled to be part of it once again this year! I always struggle when trying to come up with fun topics, worrying I’ll bore any of you reading to tears with my ramblings, so I’m going to keep this post fairly short and sweet.

There are a handful of authors I consider auto-buy authors, meaning I will read anything and everything they write regardless of genre and without so much as reading the blurb because I know no matter what, the story that awaits me in between the pages will be something special. In the same vein, there are also a handful of authors who have been recommended to me innumerable times amidst claims I will absolutely adore them, and while I don’t doubt those who recommended them in the least, I for some reason have yet to pick up one of their books.

Below then are the top three authors I recommend to anyone who will listen, as well as the top three authors who have been recommended to me accompanied by threats of pain of death if I don’t read them soon!

AUTHORS I RECOMMEND

Jennifer Estep
Jennifer Estep is an author I began reading long before I actually started the blog, picking up her first Elemental Assassin book after reading a positive review for it on a blog I frequented, and I haven’t stopped reading her books since. She writes amazingly rich and beautifully flawed characters, and while the subject matter of both her adult Elemental Assassin series and her young adult Mythos Academy series is a bit darker, she always infuses her stories with plenty of warmth and humor to keep them from getting overwhelming.


Katie McGarry
Confession: I am not a fan of contemporary YA. I typically steer pretty clear of it, wanting more the escape of some fantastical world than the drama of more realistic situations, but I will forever read Katie McGarry’s books. I love the dual point of view we get with each story–there’s just something fascinating about spending equal time with both male and female protagonists as they battle their not-insignificant issues, laugh, fight, and fall in love–and like Jennifer above, she writes the type of characters I feel compelled to read again and again, learning something new each time.



Wendy Higgins
I first picked up her debut, Sweet Evil, with no real expectations; it just had a pretty cover and a synopsis that struck me as intriguing given my undying love for bad boys. What I didn’t expect was to be blown away by her world and characters, or to completely lose my heart to the son of the Duke of Lust. Though Wendy has written only one other story outside of the Sweet Trilogy (as of now), a contemporary YA novella, it too impressed me with the strength of its characterization, and served only to reinforce my high opinion of Wendy and her ability to tell a brilliant story equal parts light and dark.


AUTHORS RECOMMENDED TO ME

Melina Marchetta
Okay, it’s not entirely true that I haven’t read anything by Melina. I have. Saving Francesca. But one Marchetta book simply isn’t enough, as anyone who has read the entirety of her backlist will tell you. I know I need to read Jellicoe Road, Finnikin of the Rock and a whole slew of others because I’ve been told just how amazing each and every one of her stories are. She’s on my to-be-read list Marchetta lovers, I swear!



Gayle Forman
If I Stay and Where She Went are books I’ve been told I MUST read time and again, but I fear this series because I know it’s going to make me cry. Which is weird because I always end up loving books that make me cry, I just have to work my way up to them and get myself in the right mindset to have my heart ripped out and stomped on. Also, the very fact that they come so highly recommended gives me pause, and worry that I won’t feel the same way sometimes recalls my hand right as I’m reaching for these books on the shelf. Yes, I am a book coward. J


Colleen Hoover
I was on a New Adult kick for a while, devouring Easy by Tammara Webber, On Dublin Street by Samantha Young, anything by Cora Carmack and others, but for some reason I never made my way to Colleen Hoover despite her receiving high praise from many blogger friends’ whose opinions I value. I took a break from New Adult for a while when the market suddenly got flooded with a lot of stories that all seemed the same, but I’m in the mood for a good NA once again, and I’m bound and determined to give Colleen a try this time around!


These are some of my favorite authors and authors I very much want to experience for myself, what books/authors do you guys recommend?


---



Thank you so much for your brilliant post, Jenny! And you MUST read If I Stay!!  Though you will cry...  Sorry...  And I must read something by Jennifer Estep - I've heard so many good things!!
But the authors I always recommend are: Jennifer L. Armentrout, Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, Robert Muchamore, Julie Kagawa, Anthony Horowitz, Sarwat Chadda and Jenny Downham.  Amazing authors!! :D
Hope you all enjoyed Jenny's post! And don't forget to follow Jenny's Blog: Supernatural Snark, follow her on Twitter and Goodreads! :D
And keep up to date with MonthOfGuests on Twitter using #MonthOfGuests2013! And stop by tomorrow for a brilliant post by the awesome Faye from A Daydreamer's Thoughts!!

No comments: