Thursday 2 June 2011

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Series: The Mortal Instruments, Book Two
Publisher: Walker
Format: Paperback
Published: 7th July 2008
Number of Pages: 416
Book: Bought
Genre: Dark Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Action-Adventure, YA
Recommended Age: 12+
Contains: Violence
No Alcohol, Drug References

Haunted by her past, Clary is dragged deeper into New York City's terrifying underworld of demons and Shadowhunters - but can she control her feelings for a boy who can never be hers?
Review:
I read City of Bones and I was addicted.  The moment I finished the book I ran upstairs to get City of Ashes.  Although the big twist at the end of the first didn’t surprise me, I needed to know more.  So much so that I didn’t even think to write a review after I finished the second because I just had to read City of Glass.  This series is just one of those that are impossible to put down.  And even when I’m not reading them, I’m thinking about the characters.  I’ve even started to dream about Shadowhunters, but of course not of myself being one.  And, may I just say, City of Ashes was even better than its predecessor, something I hadn’t even thought possible. 
Anyway, onto my actual review.  City of Bones left the Clave suddenly without the Angel’s Cup, and the Cup itself in Valentine’s clutches.  It also left Clary and Jace reeling in the revelation that they’re siblings.  City of Ashes begins with Clary accepting her Shadowhunter heritage and struggling against the feelings she has for her brother, Jace.  Simon faces problems as well; both with his own love for Clary and an unforeseen ‘change’ that honestly completely surprised me.  And, to make matters even worse, Valentine is back with yet another nefarious scheme that will change the Clave and the world of the Shadowhunters forever.  He’s after the Mortal Sword, another Mortal Instrument, and wants to turn it bad.  To do this could forfeit the already precarious agreement between the Downworlders and Shadowhunters, as to turn the sword, he needs the blood of a Child of Lilith, a Child of the Moon, a Child of the Night and a Child of Lylic...
Just when you think this series couldn’t possibly be any better, it just goes and does.  It kept me on the edge of my seat, and refused to let me go.  There’s more action, more mythical creatures, more emotion.  Just amazing everything. 
Clary is by far a stronger character now, and not so much a damsel-in-distress (I hate female leads who go running for the guy every time there’s trouble).  She’s funny, smart, brave and emotionally strong.  I love her!  Now, Jace, I love even more.  He’s sarcastic, ironic and hilarious.  Does anyone else seem to laugh at entirely inappropriate places because of Jace?  The scenes between the two bounce between being so beautiful it hurts and then very awkward.  Romantic scenes between siblings shouldn’t be so absolutely romantic and amazing.  Yet I’m sensing something underneath the surface here, hiding: I don’t think everything’s as it says it is...
Simon is the best friend a girl could hope for, and the scenes between him and Clary are real and perfect.  Plus, he’s just so cute and nerdy!  Now, another duo whose dynamics are just incredible are Alec and Magnus, the gay warlock with glitter in his hair and rainbow leather trousers.  Magus is just the best warlock ever, and is also wonderfully sarcastically funny.  Oh, and they’re so cute!
Somehow, Cassandra Clare has created characters you can either completely fall in love with or hate with all your heart.  How she does this?  I have no idea.  But somehow she does, and I commend her for it.  She is by far one of the best authors I’ve come across, and I love every minute of her books.
By the way, how does Clare manage to make me cry with laughter one second then just cry the next?  And as for her plots, well, let’s just say that while at some points they’re mildly predictable, at others I’m completely thrown.  Her stories never disappoint you, from start to finish.  Cassandra Clare: one of my very favourite authors ever!
I’m going to get back to City of Glass now.  Love this series...

Star Rating:
5 Out of 5



Read this book if you liked:
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
The Darkest Powers Trilogy by Kelley Armstrong


Challenges It's Taking Part In:
Happy Reading
Megan

3 comments:

Aylee said...

Totally agree about Cassie's characters! With every book of hers that I read, I fall in love with her characters just a little bit more :)

Anonymous said...

Great review! This series is soo good - can't wait to read City of Fallen Angels!

Cliona said...

I HAVE HAVE HAVE to read this series! COG is the next book I'm buying, promise.